Thursday, January 2, 2014

MineCraft shoes

My 10 year old daughter is OB-SESSED with MineCraft! So I made her these cute little creeper shoes- knowing they would win me some 'cool mom' points!

I bought a cheap pair of white canvas slip ons from Walmart ($4). I didn't want to experiment with this on a nice pair of Sketchers, Converse or Toms at first, so I went for the cheapies. But they have held up surprisingly well.


Supplies:

  • Sharpies in different shades of green, brown and black
  • a ruler
  • a pencil

Use your ruler to grid out squares all over the shoe. I left the sides white but feel free to box in the whole shoe if you like. To ensure the grid was centered, I first made a line down the front of the shoe straight down the center. Then went out from there. It's important to be centered, otherwise your creepers won't match each other. 

Once the pencil lines are drawn, use your black marker to color in the boxes needed to make the creeper. 

Once the black creeper is made, fill in the rest of the boxes with various shades of green and brown. The permanent marker may bleed just a smidge, but it's all good. Start with the heel or the back the shoe first to get the hang of how the colors will bleed. 

I tackled this project while my little munchkin was sleeping and from start to finish had it completed in about 30 minutes. Totally worth my daughter's reaction upon receiving them! She freaked! And loves them!

Haven't had any problems with bleeding through either. But if you feel better about it- feel free to use fabric markers, they will work just as well. 


No comments:

Post a Comment