Thursday, December 19, 2013

Advent Calendar

Here's a quick and easy Advent Calendar. I have been infatuated with the advent calendar idea forever! There are tons that I loved, but I never wanted to spend as much as they were going for. And the boxes were always really small. In the end, I made this one.

I was at the craft store and happened across these adorable burlap bags. So many possibilities! But I immediately thought of the advent calendar. Once I was home, I assembled all of my supplies and set to work. 



  • I numbered the bags 1-25 with a sharpie and some stencils. 
  • Grabbed an old frame, removed the glass and roughed up the wood with a sander. 
  • Used a staple gun and attached chicken wire to the back. It helps support the bags so they don't push back once filled and add a little touch of shabbiness. 
  • Whip stitched some red and white twine through the bags in numerical order. (for my frame I did 5 rows of 5 bags. )
  • Hammered in some tacks to which I attached the twine rows. 
  • Hot glued some greenery and pinecones to the top

Pretty simple!!!

Here's how she turned out! 



I also attached little clues to the bags...like the snowflake ornament, cookie cutter and holiday light. Some gifts were obviously too big for the little burlap bags...so they are wrapped and labeled with their corresponding number. The tag in the bag will alert them if there is a gift too. For example, "Stay toasty and warm with a cup of hot cocoa! p.s. open gift #3"

So here are our activities!!

  1. chocolate truffle
  2. Hug your sisters
  3. Hot chocolate (travel coffee mugs for each)
  4. Write or call a grandparent
  5. Grinch poo (green tic tacs with little poem...follow the link)
  6. Cut out snowflakes (snowflake ornament)
  7. monogrammed playing cards
  8. Make gingerbread houses
  9. Gather clothes to donate from closets
  10. Share your favorite Christmas memory (thumb drives for each)
  11. Do 5 good deeds today
  12. Compliment someone (pack of gum)
  13. Listen to everyone's favorite Christmas song (iTunes card)
  14. Drive around and look at Christmas lights (holiday lightbulb)
  15. Decorate sugar cookies for neighbors (cookie cutter)
  16. Read a Christmas book
  17. Make someone smile (chapstick)
  18. Make a list of 10 things you are grateful for (pencil)
  19. crocheted scarves (made by me!)
  20. Watch a Christmas movie together
  21. Mistle toes (nail polish)
  22. Make a snowman, snow angel or have a snow ball fight 
  23. Notecards personalized for each girl
  24. Christmas pajamas
  25. Merry Christmas...check your stockings! 




No comments:

Post a Comment